Coach Van Slyke played high school basketball under the tutelage of Missouri Basketball Hall of Fame Coach Tim Jermain at Albany R-III High School. She was a three-year starter for the Lady Warriors and a member of the first athletic team from Albany to ever advance to the MSHSAA State Final Four. Coach Van Slyke was a multi-sport athlete, as she was also an outfielder on the softball team and a sprinter on the track team from 1996–2000.
Known as a defensive specialist, Van Slyke earned a scholarship to play basketball at Kansas Wesleyan University. She played basketball for the Lady Coyotes for two years before ending her career in 2002 due to continual problems with a previously suffered knee injury. She graduated Magna Cum Laude with a bachelor of arts degree in Communications from KWU in 2004 and had a short stint working as a sports editor for the Abilene Reflector-Chronicle from 2004–05 before returning to KWU to work in admissions in 2005.
Coach Van Slyke has worked in college admissions for more than thirteen years. Currently, she works full-time as an admissions counselor in the Penn State York Admissions Office and serves as the York County representative for Penn State. During her stint at Penn State York, the women’s basketball team has made three Penn State University Athletic Conference (PSUAC) playoff appearances and has produced five United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) All-Americans, five USCAA All-Academic All-Americans, eight PSUAC All-Conference players, and the first ever 1,000-point scorer in Penn State York women’s basketball history.
Coach Van Slyke resides in York, Pennsylvania, and is a member of the York County Alliance for Learning and the Colonel James Smith-Yorktown Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Read the news story from when Coach Van Slyke’s hiring was announced prior to the 2015–16 season:
New Penn State York women’s basketball coach to share her love of the game
- Albany R-III High School (Albany, Missouri) – 2000
- Kansas Wesleyan University (Salina, Kansas) – Bachelor of Arts in Communications, 2004
- Concordia University Irvine (Irvine, California) – Master of Arts in Coaching and Athletic Administration, 2014
- Penn State York Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach 2011–12, 2013–15, Interim Head Coach, 2012–13
- Penn State York Head Women’s Basketball Coach, 2015–Present
- Albany R-III High School – Missouri Class 1A - 1996–2000
- Kansas Wesleyan University – National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) - 2000–02
- Grand River Conference Girls Basketball Honorable Mention (Missouri), 2000
- Missouri State High School Athletic Association (MSHSAA) 1A Girls Basketball State Championships Third Place, 2000
- National Army Reserve Scholar Athlete, 2000
- All-Academic Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC) Honors, 2002
- KWU Lady Coyotes Basketball Best Role Player, 2002
- Six-time MSHSAA State Track Medalist, 1997–2000
- Albany R-III High School 400-meter relay record holder, 1997